Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fiesta

One of the events that Filipinos look forward to is Fiesta, and today I went to four fiesta parties that were held in a barangay in Sogod, South Leyte. Fiestas are intended to honor saints, and they are the occasion for parties where anyone who comes off the street is fed. I went with my friends Glory and Ella, and at the three of the parties there was lechon baboy. This means roast pig, and it is not intended to be healthy. ha ha. There are all sorts of food, but the emphasis is on meat and fish. I loved it, but by the third full plate I was stuffed which you can inform people of by saying, "Busog na ko". There was a disco and a karaoke party. Everyone loved it. At one of the parties the family was starting two businesses--and internet cafe and a bus service--so the priest was there to bless both of them. We were all there with candles. It seemed like a perfect thing to do, but I realized how different it was from anything I had ever experienced in America.

No comments: